Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OFTB Discuss Working with 2Pac

Q: Can you explain a little bit about why Death Row didn’t release the album?

Low: The situation was a bird cage, and the Death Row situation, our sh*t was out in the middle of Death Row, and never made it out there because they wasn’t handling business right, so we didn’t have no control over if Death Row would release it, and they never released it. You know, there was a lot of politicking going on back then, you know, with the death of 2Pac, the leaving of [Dr.] Dre, and other elements playing a part in it as well, but pretty much, Suge [Knight] just slept on it.

Q: Do you think your careers would have gone differently if it had released back then rather than now?

Flipside: Of course. If it had been released then, it would have kept up alive for more and more years. We was making music in the studio next door to 2Pac, next door to Snoop Dogg, and they was coming in giving us their official stock on all of our music, like, that’s it, get it out tomorrow for the elements of what was going on in music at the time as far as gangsta rap.

At the same time though, it’s like the music, a lot of songs, once you get a chance to hear them, somebody’s going to put a date on them even though they was made yesterday, so this music right here, man, it all seems like yesterday anyway, so they’re going to get a good feel for it and really fall in love with it, because it’s history if this sh*t’s been out then or now anyway.

Q: What was it like working with artists like Snoop Dogg and 2Pac when you guys got your start in the mid-90s?

Flipside: When you stepped into a room with him [2Pac], you knew you were somewhere special, because everything in there was high energy, and he worked it real fast, and had a good etiquette. He was so smart, that he knew what type of dude you was before he’d even put you on a song. He knew what kind of song he wanted to have you on. Meanwhile, he brought you energy because you saw how he worked—the dude was a workaholic, and we was workaholics, so it just came together.

When he got out of jail, he called us, you know, asked do we want to come to the studio and write a few songs, and he invited us, we let him know that he was on our side just as well as we were on his side. He had his own plans to taking Death Row Records to the next level, and him and Suge had worked out a deal where he got an album coming out and all that. But we got to build a real close relationship with 2Pac in that period, because we was the only group at the studios, we was the only group with 2Pac that got to see that his album was legit.

After he mixed his tracks, he’d turn the lights off and just listen to his album back-to-back, back-to-back, and that’s what he would do sometimes late at night. No other artist had other intentions to do that but 2Pac, because he was going into the industry at the time. He would always tell us that we’ve got one of the dopest classicest albums, and that our sh*t was going to knock this motherf*cker out because we was speaking the realist sh*t, and telling the true facts on every one of these songs, you know what I mean?

And the great thing about it, the week before he died, he had gotten a Rolls-Royce, we was in Vegas, and the n*gga was tearing that motherf*cker all up outside, and I said ‘What’s up, Pac, what’s up n*gga,’ and I was like ‘Damn, n*gga, you got a motherf*cking Rolls-Royce,’ and he was like ‘Yeah, man, you know, get in this motherf*cker right now, okay, I’m about to roll this motherf*cker right now,’ you know, a bowl, and he said ‘Let’s hit some cones,’ so I hit some cones with him for a little bit.

To make a long story short, the good thing about it seemed meant for us to have that moment in time and life, because I think that it seemed he felt like he was on top of the world, and I’m beside him thinking ‘Damn, this is gonna be me next, being bad in this Rolls-Royce and having all this money and sh*t,’ and it was a check for me, and check for him as well.

I was in the car with him, and I said ‘Yeah, Pac, what’s up, we’re ballin’,’ and he said ‘Let me put it like this, man. You n*ggas is about to go through a lot of sh*t, man. This sh*t is all f*cked up. All this sh*t is flash, all this sh*t’s gonna be over, man.’ I’m like ‘Bro, what the f*ck is you talking about, sh*t’s gonna be over, you’re ballin’, we’re fixing to be ballin’, I’m fixing to have a Rolls-Royce, I’m fixing to have this sh*t,’ and he goes, ‘Nah, all this sh*t is f*cked up, man. It could be my way, man, or I could let it be this way. I’m gonna get Makavelli Records, and I’m gonna sign the Outlawz, we’re gonna drop that album, I’m gonna have you n*ggas ballin’, and you’re album’s gonna be dropped, but the way I know sh*t is gonna be, you n*gga’s ain’t gonna get an album out for two or three more years, so keep the struggle alive, because there ain’t gonna be no n*ggas doing this sh*t no more.’

I looked at that man like he was crazy, full of himself, or something, but all the time he was coming to me with some real sh*t. After he died and all that happened, I seen the transformation and the downfall of the West Coast, and Biggie died, and the album we’re talking about now, we was black-balled being around this sh*t, you know what I mean, our name was caught up in all this sh*t because we was Death Row artists, we got that whole ‘we’re gonna f*ck with some rappers, and we’re gonna f*ck with y’all because y’all are part of that,’ and we wasn’t even part of that. We was just some artists that was just trying to do good music, represent where we come from, and give others from where we come from an opportunity, but instead, we got like I said.

If we would have gotten an album out at that time, it could have changed our careers. 2Pac was always telling us ‘No matter what, y’all need to keep the struggle alive, because what’s gonna happen is that y’all aren’t going to be in control.’ Right now, I feel the change is coming, because people will have the opportunity to buy it. Our sh*t will be certified for them to hear, but here’s this new sh*t now, because we’re in the studio, we’re not stuck in the past. We know what’s going on with that. We didn’t never stop doing what we did. Whatever happens on top of the rocky roads, we still got to build a fanbase, and we know that we will.
    Jahrama - Ill$tyle Ikonz

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline.

Forget about what happened long ago! Don't think about the past. I am creating something new. There it is! Do you see it?"

The Bible

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OFTB are a dope group, yall should def check there albums out if you dont have them especially if you love that 2pac/deathrow sound!

Gold Member
    Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great interview, Pac was right about OFTB not having a album out for a while, a reason why Warren G left was partly because his album was delayed.