User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on the state of hip hop Today?

New York State Of Mind Ghostface's Avatar
    Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your opinion on the state of hip hop Today?

Posting in that shoutout box is a pain in the ass, plus I think this is worth a discussion

What's your opinion of the state of hip hop today? I mean hip hop as a whole not just mainstream. Do you think it's still great, or does it suck? And why? Hopefully during this thread we could put attention on artist that dope to show that imo hip hop is still great

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 90s movement is live, lemme tell you, especially over here in New York. East Coast needs to get it poppin' like we did in the 90s, and I want that rugged raw sound, boom bap. I think it's slowly coming back among semi-popular mainstream artists, like Joey Badass, Bishop Nehru and more popular ones like Ab Soul, Kendrick Lamar and J.Cole. Of course you got the OGs like Nas who still doing work and AZ coming out with Doe or Die 2 sometime soon. Can't wait for that gem.

Peep my sig for some real hip hop though! The lord chief rocka
    NTC's Hip Hop Song of the Week:

Tupac didn't just make good music, he was a GOOD person.

"By the next election, I promise I'll be sitting across from all the candidates. I bet you, I'm gonna be so far from where I am now, 4 years, God willing I'm alive, I guarantee you, we will have our own political party." -Tupac Amaru Shakur

New York State Of Mind Ghostface's Avatar
    Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been waiting for that doe or die 2 for like 4 years now. Idk what's going on

Don't Go 2 Sleep
    Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people like Master P paved the way for what artists are doing today, honestly. There's plenty of talent out there but they're suffocating beneath artists who don't put effort in any more. Whether they're talented or not (Lil Wayne for example) is irrelevant if they aren't even going to try.

Recently I've been into Diabolic, DZK, Reks & Celph Titled. Asides from those & Tupac, I haven't been listening to Hip Hop as much lately but when I do, I try to find unknown rappers or I stick with Nas, KRS-1, Rakim, Scarface, Ghostface Killah, Chuck D and Kane.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will never be as good as it was in the 90s but imo over the past 3 or so years it has improved ALOT with artists like j Cole Kendrick Lamar asap rocky hopsin,and groups like T.D.E asap mob, and lots more its actually really interesting, amd woth these new up and coming artists producing some really solid work im getting more into hip-hop than before, all i ever used to listen was 90s rap ect, but now im actually exploring diffrent artists because theres so much to choose from with good quality

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hip hop is fine. whats wrong with hip hop is its fans. Complaining about certain artists being drowned in the shitty ones but then they dont support them anyway. The fans destoyed the meaning of hip hop, with their elitist views and their turnt up mentalities. I love the progression of hip hop though, the use of blending other genre's with it. Trying new things, spicing it up.. makes me so damn happy when i hear something that is unique and original, i also like the basics too. because you can get bored with listening to the same type of music over and over, everything is needed. every sub genre within the genre is needed. Its the only way hip hop will be taken seriously. I remember @CEOnealien said something like we need the hype music in hip hop to keep the revenue flowing, so that other artists that arent about the hype can get their due too. something like that, it was so many years ago lol.

anyway, i feel like the fans are the problem. especially those who romanticize 90s hip hop like rappers back then weren't talking about their cars, their bitches, their money, how many guns they got, smoking weed.. etc. there's an element of boasting that has always been in hip hop. so thats nothing new today.

the only thing we can be so sure about being better in 90s though is rnb. thats fact, hip hop though.. i dont know.

Don't Go 2 Sleep
    Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle to get behind mainstream rap. Music is subjective and I do give albums a try & I always come to the conclusion that rap was so much better in the 90s. I mean, there is talent. I won't deny that & I do, as I said, give unknown rappers a shot and some rappers who the masses have probably never even heard of stand in my top 10 list. Why are Hip Hop fans the problem? I mean GENUINE Hip Hop fans. If you feel that it was better in the 90s then it's easy to understand. Boasting isn't even a problem to me, personally, it's the way it's done. I mean, look who's on top right now. I don't know why or who's to blame but morons like Tyga & 2Chainz don't seem to be going anywhere. I do share videos and music of the rappers I enjoy with people but it takes more than however many people to change the state of Hip Hop.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Don't Like Todays Hip Hop, 90s will forever be the golden era of Rap/Hip Hop. I Honestly only listen to 90s (2Pac N.W.A Eazy E) Mainly West Coast. But I think Lupe Fiasco, Kendrick Lamar, And J. Cole are great rappers but i don't listen to their music :/ . But However I do listen to some underground and i think there's lots of young talent out there that deserve the spotlight. So overall I don't like mainstream, Underground is the best genre of hip hop (today). But remember this is my opinion.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post

anyway, i feel like the fans are the problem. especially those who romanticize 90s hip hop like rappers back then weren't talking about their cars, their bitches, their money, how many guns they got, smoking weed.. etc. there's an element of boasting that has always been in hip hop. so thats nothing new today.

the only thing we can be so sure about being better in 90s though is rnb. thats fact, hip hop though.. i dont know.
    Agree with all of this.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

faggots wit skinny jeans..and house-mouse rhymes over techno beats.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ASAP Ghost View Post
    I've been waiting for that doe or die 2 for like 4 years now. Idk what's going on
    Yeah he slackin' hard but apparently it's his last album so he probably wants that shit to be perfect
    NTC's Hip Hop Song of the Week:

Tupac didn't just make good music, he was a GOOD person.

"By the next election, I promise I'll be sitting across from all the candidates. I bet you, I'm gonna be so far from where I am now, 4 years, God willing I'm alive, I guarantee you, we will have our own political party." -Tupac Amaru Shakur

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stacks View Post
    I think people like Master P paved the way for what artists are doing today, honestly. There's plenty of talent out there but they're suffocating beneath artists who don't put effort in any more. Whether they're talented or not (Lil Wayne for example) is irrelevant if they aren't even going to try.

Recently I've been into Diabolic, DZK, Reks & Celph Titled. Asides from those & Tupac, I haven't been listening to Hip Hop as much lately but when I do, I try to find unknown rappers or I stick with Nas, KRS-1, Rakim, Scarface, Ghostface Killah, Chuck D and Kane.
    I don't think Master P paved the way, I believe Biggie & Puffy were the ones who made hip-hop into what it is. Bad Boy Records usually made party music such as Big Poppa or Mo Money Mo Problems & Puffy was the one pushing it to the masses. Puffy being the fag he is, added the pop sound which led to Master P, No Limit Records & the off-of-Death Row wackass rapper who we now know as Snoop Dogg.
    Last edited by Revolución; 02-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.

"Bitches is wild, niggaz is lame, I hung around with real niggaz got exposed to the game
    Muthafuckas actin' crazy busted me in the jaw Initiated as an Outlaw"

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it's bad far as mainstream goes, bcuz it's mainly these rap, R&B songs with these same kind of beats, same concepts..

"ooh baby your the baddest I've ever seen"
    "I'm getting money left, and right, this, that"
    "My jewelry shine brighter than this, that"
    "Yo hoe don't fuck with you, bcuz she fuck with me"

Ya feel me like that type of shit far as all I'm hearing mainstream wise, not all, but most. I remember when you could turn in the TV, radio and here some diverse shit, ya party music of course, some good soulful R&B really talking about love, shit made you feel good, now most R&B is too raunchy to the point is not even attractive. Back to current state of hip hop, I remember when what I thought was real hip hop was at the forth front, and you had cats with different styles, different beats, it's just when you heard they shit, you was yea that's the south right their, that's the east coast, or thàts the west coast, now you don't know who the fuck is who, bcuz they all sound the same, and it's a big problem when the real hip hop is swept under the rub, and not getting any play mainstream wise.

I know y'all are gonna say well kendrick lamar is doing his thang, this, that NO! Kendrick ain't enough, and whoever else mainstream that you think is hip hop too ain't enough either. Real hip hop is out their like y'all mentioned in the shout box, I myself prefer underground artist now, but we blows my mind is, what I think is hip hop isn't getting no play, an to who y'all think is hip hop who is getting spins like that is not my cup of tea. Everybody has who they listen to, an I can respect it. What I ment in the shout box is when real hip hop gets swept under the rug for you to find it, and these untalented people take the center stage, that's when hip hop is dead just like nas say, bcuz you the main stream audience who is brainwashed by this trash, and maybe if real hip hop can Bounce back forward where it needs to be, people will finally realize that what they been listening to was in fact trash, and I will support the real hip hop, I will buy that shit.
    "Every second I'm great-full
    You never know how much time
    You got left breathing
    Can die tonight or the next evening
    Live like ya mean it" -Young Noble

Don't Go 2 Sleep
    Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta agree with you @Revolución when I think about it. Someone had to pave the way for Master P, No Limit, Ying Yang Twins, Lil Jon and the rest of the garbage we had back then & what paved the way for today. Put it this way though, I'd rather listen to some Lil Jon than some Lil Wayne. And that's not one of those cheap shots at Lil Wayne, I've given him a chance. Even though a lot of people think he was talented around the Carter 1 & 2, I still don't think he was GREAT. Of course if you compare his older work to what we have today then it'd come across as a master piece because the Lil Wayne we've got in 2014 is a burned out baboon in skinny jeans (to quote MK). But Rebirth, The Carter 3 & 4 and all those Dedication Mixtapes were absolute garbage. Same with Drake. I used to find his older stuff OK. Like some I could get with but he's too influenced by RnB. Especially after his obsession with Aaliyah, her music seems to have brushed off his a lot.

But yeah, Hip Hop goes further than YMCMB. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a casual Hip Hop fan or they're too lazy to find artists they actually like that are around today but it'd be wrong to not question why Drake, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Tyga, 2Chainz, Rick Ross (etc, etc, etc) are megastars when the fore-mentioned artists (Diabolic, Celph Titled, etc) are barely known. It's a shame.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBuckets92 View Post
    Agree with all of this.
    thank you, one person see's the light lol.